Is tinnitus a side effect of wellbutrin?

Psychiatrist
Question
i have heard that one of Wellbutrin's(for depression) side effects can be tinnitus or a worsening of tinnitus if you have the condition. is there any truth to this?
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Depression

Answered by Dr. Sourav Das 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
occasionally reported, not very common in practise

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your query. Wellbutrin (Bupropion) is an antidepressant commonly used for treating depression, aid in smoking cessation etc. Though there are occasional reports of tinnitus occurring as side effect of this medication, for all practical purposes, it is not commonly encountered.

Hope I've been able to satisfy your query. Please feel free to contact me further for any clarifications. If there are no further clarifications, please close the discussion and rate the same. Best of luck.

Dr. Sourav.

Follow-up: Is tinnitus a side effect of wellbutrin? 5 hours later
are there any successful treatments for tinnitus?

Answered by Dr. Sourav Das 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
stopping wellbutrin relieves tinnitus in a week or two

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your query. Tinnitus is a symptom, characterised by ringing noise in the ear. It is a general symptom (like anemia), and can occur due to numerous causes. the treatment of tinnitus depends upon the underlying cause.

If it is caused by Wellbutrin, simply stopping the medication causes resolution of tinnitus on its own within sometime (usually a week or two).

Dr. Sourav.