Is thyroid disorder one of the reasons for weight gain?

I had a historecktomy?? in 2005 and never used any hormone replacement and now I am having problems with weight gain. My mother was obese and I am scared that I am heading in the same direction. My mother also had thyroid disorder. I was told to look into a endocrinologist. I am always tired and just have no energy.
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Check thyroid Detailed Answer: Please get the following tests done: CBC CMP TSH Free T4 TPO antibodies Thyroglobulin antibodies This will help rule out a thyroid condition. If the tests reveal an under active thyroid, it could explain your weight gain
Follow-up: Is thyroid disorder one of the reasons for weight gain? 8 minutes later
Are any of these tests to check my hormones?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: TSH and free T4 will ascertain your thyroid status. IGF1 and midnight salivary cortisol are two more hormonal tests to see if you have endocrine causes of weight gain
Follow-up: Is thyroid disorder one of the reasons for weight gain? 17 hours later
What should the results be for the tests that you are suggesting? I heard that there are new numbers for the thyroid test but need to hear it from you what they should be. Thank you so much!!
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thyroid Detailed Answer: TSH 0.4 to 3.5 Free T4 depending on the particular lab range However, this is a very complex field and considerable expertise is required to interpret the values. It is not just a matter of numbers