Is there anything to solve the problem of snoring?

Hi Dr,

I have a problem with my snoring. I snore very loudly. My wife's sleep is always interrupted because of my heavy and loud snoring.

Is there anything I can do about it.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for putting forward your query.

Snoring occurs when air flows past relaxed tissues in your throat, causing the tissues there to vibrate as you breathe, sometimes it may indicate a serious health condition.

Not to worry as lifestyle modifications, such as losing weight, avoiding alcohol during bedtime or sleeping on your side, can help stop snoring.

I would recommend you to get yourself examined by a competent physician who will do a comprehensive physical examination, suggest few investigations like an X-ray, a computerized tomography (CT) scan or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), to check the structure of your airway for problems, such as a deviated nasal septum (DNS) which is a risk factor for snoring.

He/she may also want you to undertake sleep study which would require you to stay overnight at a sleep center to undergo an exhaustive analysis of your sleep habits by a team of sleep specialists, which is called as polysomnography.

Depending upon the cause, your treatment plan will be formulated accordingly. In the meantime you may want to bring in some lifestyle changes which will help alleviate your snoring problem, like lose weight if you are overweight or obese, exercise regularly for 30 to 40 minutes. Adhesive strips applied to your nose help increase the area of nasal passage, enhancing your breathing activity. Don't use them if you have sleep apnea. Sleep on your side, limit or avoid alcohol consumption principally at the bedtime.

Hope my answer has done justice to the query posted by you. Please accept my answer if you have no follow-up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.