Is there any way to treat liver cancer without surgery?

cancer of the liver is there away to treat with out surgery
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Depends on Patient

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

This is an excellent question. What needs to be established is a definitive diagnosis. I do see that you have a previous history of colon cancer. You had identified now that you have a cancer involving the liver. It is important to establish whether this cancer in the liver is truly hepatic cancer or whether it represents a recurrence of the colon cancer.

I suspect a biopsy may have been performed which might have confirmed a true liver cancer. If this is the case and the only area where the cancer was identified using a small area of the liver then one of the options to approach this with curative intent is to proceed with surgery. At some institutions radiation therapy might be considered as a good alternative if the patient is not able to tolerate the operation.

If this is liver cancer which has spread to other parts of the body then surgery is generally not indicated. In your case it would be necessary for your doctors to obtain a tissue diagnosis and to perform staging with computerized tomography scans of the entire body. At that point your doctors can make good recommendations regarding the best appropriate management.

Thank you again for sending the question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns regarding this matter.

Dr. Galamaga