Is there any way to stop the formation of hard mucus rings in the nose ?

I have had mucus attached to a ring of hard material that seems to be in my nasal passage somewhere. If I sneeze from my nose it dislodges and end up in my throat. I have had it for years and rather than trying to get it out, I have better success letting it come out when I'm eating or drinking. The first time I had it I went to an ENT doctor who said it was a 'ring of' something, I forgot the name. Is there anyway to stop them forming?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 16 minutes later
Thanks for the query,

Our nasal mucosa is active and constantly secretes mucus. This helps to trap dust and particulate matter and prevents its entry into the lungs. Normally about 10 - 15 ml of mucus is produced and we usually swallow it.

Your symptoms are formation of mucus with ring of hard material is likely to be a normal mechanism. In medical terminologies, there is no description of such a symptoms.If you do not have any symptoms of sinusitis and infection, then, nothing active needs to be done.

Also since its been there for quite some time, it likely to be a benign condition.

However, you should rule out a possibility of a fungal infection.

Consider doing steam inhalation. Avoid dust and smoke and any irritants which can irritate the nasal mucosa and increase mucus production.

Do consult your ENT specialist if your symptoms persists..

Hope this answers your query.

Please get back if you need any further information

Thanks and Regards