Is there any way to stop pain from mastoidal tendonitis? Taking hydrocodone and steroid.

Is there any way to stop (or at least ease) the pain from mastoidal tendonitis? My doctor gave me hydrocodone APAP, and I'm taking a steroid twice a day. My son found an ice pack in the back of the freezer and it helps a little for a little while. I'm not able to do ANYTHING! And I'm tired and crying a lot. Feel pretty useless. Please....can you help me?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question.

Sorry, I am not sure that I understand what you mean by "Mastoidal Tendinitis". But actually, in a sense, it does not matter what the exact diagnosis is. Your doctor has given you steroids and antibiotics and you are crying in pain. Clearly then you have some very nasty inflammatory process going on in the region of your mastoid process.

In this day and age nobody should be crying in pain. This is simply not acceptable. Ask your doctor for a strong opiate or morphine to tide you over pain-free until such time as the steroids and antibiotics chick in or until such time as the mastoiditis otherwise settles down.

I hope this helps you and that you are feeling much better very soon.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.