Is there any way to increase the strength and thickness of hair?

I have a soft/thin hair as a result of which it doesnt look dense. Is there any way to increase the strength in the hair so that it is thick and looks dense.

Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 30 hours later

The density of hair and thickness/ thinness of hair depend upon the number of hair follicles and the size of hair follicle respectively. The number and size of hair follicle is genetically governed. However we can definitely keep hair healthy and strong by following these suggestions:

1) Take hair supplement like tablet follihair new daily. You may also apply minoxidil 5 percent solution over scalp to improve hair growth

2) Take a protein XXXXXXX multivitamin and mineral XXXXXXX well balanced diet. Include fruits, salads, nuts, fish, soy, lentils, complex carbohydrates in diet.

3) Avoid smoking, keep stress free and exercise regularly.

4) Massage your scalp once with warm olive oil.

5) If your hair is thin, you may use volumising shampoo to add volume to hair. Avoid conditioners as it may make hair look lean.

6) If possible consult a dermatologist nearby to get your hair analysed, to rule out any underlying scalp pathology or any other cause like androgenetic alopecia which may lead to thinness or sparse hair density.

Hope that helps. Should there be any other query, feel free to write back.

Take care,
Follow-up: Is there any way to increase the strength and thickness of hair? 2 hours later
Hi Dr, Kalpana,

Thank you for the reply. Is there any side effects consuming the supplements that is specified above and also with Minoxidil. I would go with Minoxidil, do i need to take any precautions while applying the solution or what is you recommended suggestion?

Also i am losing hair(bald) in front and my hairs are splitting. The scalp is easily visible and open (not much- initial stage). I need to know if hair transplant or whichever method you recommend would work to make it dense? What would be cost of the transplant.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 15 hours later

Minoxidil solution and the above mentioned hair supplements are safe to use. Minoxidil at times can lead to mild irritation, itching over scalp. As these are prescription medicines, it is always better to use them under a dermatologist's supervision.

Minoxidil solution should not be applied on oiled or wet hair and any drippings over the face should immediately be cleaned. Also wash hands after application. The recommended dose is 1 ml applied twice over scalp.

From the description you have provided, you are having early stage of male pattern baldness and same responds well to minoxidil. Sometimes we prescribe an oral medicine finesteride too, for better results. However, it should always be taken under doctor's prescription. For this pattern of hair loss, treatment should be continued at least for four to six months to see desirable response. Once response is achieved, minoxidil needs to be continued for prolonged period.

To treat hair splits, get the hair trimmed or cut often.

Hair transplant is advised in advanced stages of hair loss or when medical treatment fails. It usually costs in between 0000 to 2 lacs and above.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be any other doubt, feel free to write back.
Follow-up: Is there any way to increase the strength and thickness of hair? 4 hours later
Thank you Dr kalpana. One last question, I see there are lots of Minoxidil products available in the market. Could you please let me know the original and complete description of the product.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later

As you are based in US I would not be able to advice on brands of minoxidil solution available over there.
For androgenetic alopecia, use of minoxidil solution 5 percent, 1 ml twice in a day has been approved by US FDA. Kindly stick to that. Do not use minoxidil in dosage more than prescribed. As far as description of product is concerned, it is basically a blood vessel dilator which stimulates hair growth by allowing more oxygen, nutrients, blood to follicles. It maintains hair in the anagen or growth phase and also increases follicle size.

The solution should always be used in clean dry hair. Do not use it in oily or wet hair. You may apply oil or wash hair 4 to 5 hours after application. If in case any irritation or itching occurs, discontinue use.

The results are usually seen after four to six months of application and the results obtained persist as long as minoxidil application is continued.

Hope that answers all your queries.

Follow-up: Is there any way to increase the strength and thickness of hair? 1 hour later
Thank You Dr Kalpana. I am located in India, please provide me the brands (minoxidil) that I should opt for based on my hair condition.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 41 minutes later
Personally I prefer two brands of minoxidil in my patients
Amexidil( minoxidil with amenixil)
Tugain .
You can use either of these, based on availability in your locality.

Hope that helps.