Ask a Urologist   »  

Is there any urine drug test that differentiates between methadone and heroin?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
I need to know if there is a urine drug test that differentiates between methadone and heroin? My boyfriend is supposed to be taking methadone in place of heroin but I have doubts. If there is a test out there that will give me the information I'm looking for, please send me the info on where I can purchase such a test.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, differentiation is possible.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

Yes, it is possible to differentiate between methadone and heroin in biological samples as both have different metabolites.

There are two major types of tests available:

1) Highly accurate tests, usually using techniques like chromatography and enzyme immunoassays, taking a few days and requiring laboratory settings. These cannot be used in the home.
2) Less accurate and faster tests, like urine dipstick tests which can be used at the home.

The second type can suffice your needs. There are many drug testing companies that manufacture these tests and sell them online as well. Look for test kits that separately mention methadone and opioids. For example, try the 9 panel drug tests available on sites like, WWW.WWWW.WW etc. The 9 panel tests screen for both methadone and other opioids in addition to other drugs.

However, I feel that there should be no need to buy these tests as most methadone clinics routinely test all patients to confirm that they are taking methadone and not heroin. You can go with your boyfriend to the clinic that provides him methadone and share your fears with them. I am sure they will be willing to allay your fears.

Hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact us in case you need any clarifications.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry