Is there any treatment for hypopigmentation on face due to laser skin resurfacing ?

XXXXXXX 4th 1999 I had laser skin resurfacing done to my face to reduce acne scars. The scars have been somewhat smoothed out but my skin is hypopigmented where the procedure was done. Is there anything out there that can bring my pigmentation back?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query,

Hypopigmentation treatment options are often limited. Treating post-inflammatory hypopigmentation may involve the use of topical corticosteroids or tars (topical cream), light or laser treatment, or surgical skin grafting. Intense Pulsed Light, excimer lasers, and the Fraxel Restore laser are some helpful procedures for hypopigmentation treatment.

Hypopigmentation due to scars resulting due to laser treatment are caused by death of melanocytes that produce the pigmentation. Such a situation can be helped by a procedure where the cells are helped to grow back.

The skin spray procedure is one helpful method.
The process involves harvesting skin from one area as with a very thin skin graft. Pulverizing that skin into a thin paste and then spraying it onto the hypopigmented area after the area has been dermabraded to create a raw surface.

This procedure enables the delivery of keratinocytes, melanocytes, fibroblasts and Langerhans cells harvested from the epidermal-dermal junction for application onto a wound surface in order to promote rapid and effective healing.
For larger areas more than one treatment session may be required

I hope the information given here helps.

In case any more doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Dr Anvekar.