Is there any treatment for hearing loss from birth?

ENT Specialist

I Can't Hear from my Right Ear from my birth.
What do you suggest? is there any treatment for it?
How much it costs ?
Posted Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. I am assuming that your hearing in the left ear is normal and that there is no hearing in an anatomically normal right ear which has been confirmed by an ear examination and an audiogram. Can you share your latest audiogram via the add reports link ?

2. A Baha (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) will be ideal in your case, with the implant on the right side.The implant is surgically fixed into the skull bone above and behind the ear. You may take a trial with a Baha, preferably the Cochlear Baha BP-100 and the Sophono Alpha 1 M before you decide. What you experience during the trial will be improved by 15-20% after the implant. It takes three months for the Cochlear Baha implant to osseointegrate. The Sophono Alpha 1 m implant has the added advantage of no external abutment and minimal scars or hair loss.

3. The approximate prices for the Baha systems including the implant and excluding operative and hospital charges is as follows:
i. Cochlear Baha Intenso - Rs. 1,95,000
ii. Cochlear Baha BP-100 - Rs. 2,34,000
iii. Sophono Alpha 1 M - Rs. 3,35,000

4. It is possible to take a trial with a headband. I can arrange for a trial to help you decide.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Is there any treatment for hearing loss from birth? 16 hours later
I would like to know, After implementing Baha, is this device will be visible on my body in other baha system ?

As per you below Answer Sophono Alpha Baha device is not visible on body after implant, Right ?
I don't need device to be displayed on body.

Is this system has any side affects ?
What are the things needs to take care after implant ?
Is this implant device will work for whole life ?
List me some of Hospitals available with this treatment, Specially in Chandigarh Region if you know any.

Follow-up: Is there any treatment for hearing loss from birth? 4 minutes later
Most Important Q Is this treatment is successful ?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The Sophono implant (like all Baha's) has two main components. The XXXXXXX implant is not visible. However the external unit or device is visible. It can be made less visible by changing the hairstyle.

2. A visible implant may be useful for others to know that you have a hearing problem and are not intentionally ignoring them.

3. There are no side effects. Rarely, some patients may have extrusion of the implant.

4. With the Sophono implant no special care is needed. You must however learn to avoid losing the magnet based external unit and dampener plate. The older Baha devices with a titanium abutment require life long care of the operative site. However my experience has been that it is minimal. More than 50,000 to 1,00,000 patents worldwide use a Baha now and many problems have been sorted out.

5. The XXXXXXX implant is lifelong and does not contain batteries or require replacement. The external device is like any electrical equipment. It may require repair or replacement after many years. Some models can also be programmed to adjust for changes in hearing later on in life. The newer Baha devices are more water repellent.

6. A Sophono Implant has not been done in India yet. It has been launched in India recently (a month ago). I have a dozen patients who are considering a Sophono Implant at present. In 2008, I performed the first Baha implant in Pune. It was only the second Baha Intenso implant in India. Hence it is difficult to list any hospital yet.

I must emphasize that this treatment is highly successful. That is why you should take a trial.

If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.