Is there any treatment available to reduce fat around waist?

Hello Doctor,
Thanks in advance for your time for answering my question.
I have a fat balls around my waist, there are infact 3; That is not too huge, I do waist exercise in gym and try to reduce the same. Is there are any alternatives to be worked on? any medical treatments if any?

Posted Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 45 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
Special significance of fat around waist is that it increases the chances of development of atherosclerosis which ultimately causes coronary artery disease. Somehow, we Indians are genetically prone to this type of fat accumulation. Waist hip ratio more than 1 or waist more than 90 cm in an adult man is the feature I am referring to. You had chosen the category cholesterol. Indeed that is true however you need to get your lipid profile and fasting blood sugar done. If there is abnormality in those, medical treatment will be needed. For central obesity, the correct method is what you are doing. It is not the type of exercise which matters. Any aerobic exercise (Most people prefer brisk walking at the speed of 5 Km/hour for 40 minutes or swimming or jogging) will have the same beneficial effect of burning calories. That will eventually lead to reduction in fat. Abdominal (waist) exercises are good for increasing the tone of abdominal muscles therefore preferred. What is needed extra is proper intake of food. Food is the only source of calories. Which should contain least amount of saturated fats (the oils which are solid at room temperature like vanaspati ghee or butter). Say no to junk food. To give one example one 40 minutes of brisk walk as described earlier will burn around 400 calories and by eating one samosa you are taking 500 calories. That leaves a positive balance of 100 calories. Approximately, 7700 extra calories are stored as fat weighing one kilogram. See how easy to accumulate fat. Take high fiber diet like XXXXXXX vegetables. With diet and exercise you can achieve ideal body weight and loose those balls. Anti-obesity medicines are generally not recommended. Good Luck.
If you have any more query I will be most happy to answer it.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Internist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Is there any treatment available to reduce fat around waist? 52 minutes later

Thank you for taking an interest to discuss about my fat accumulation.

So the conclusion is simple, I dont want to operate and remove those fat ball content. I do regular physical exercise to maintain the body structure and i have flat tummy as well. (bad thing is that the fat ball is just near to the 6 abs area :( )

So physical exercise can reduce those right? if yes, how long? but curious to know

Thank you again.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 17 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
There are three aspects:
1. You will get your lipid profile and fasting blood sugar so that we are not missing any other associated disease.
2. Exercise, you seem to be doing OK on that count. You increase the time devoted for it.
3. You have forgotten about DIET it should be proper less in calories, less fat, less carbohydrates no junk food and not more than 1 Gm per Kg of protein.

With the last two it depends on how much overweight you are. Do not do "YO YO" (the toy : a ball which goes up and down attached to an elastic string) with your weight. Aim for consistent fall at the rate of 1 KG per month (that will reduce your waist by half an inch: you can maintain that reduction with ease and calculate the months it will take.....I do not know your height/weight/waist circumference so I can not give you a time). Good Luck.
Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover
Follow-up: Is there any treatment available to reduce fat around waist? 2 hours later
Yep, I will understand the fasting blood sugar test and I have been always very conscious on foods I in-take, because i have a dietician counseling once in 3 months.

Height: 5.9"
Weight: 65 kgs
Waist: 30"
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 59 minutes later

Well your answers are reassuring. You are only 10% overweight so not even obese. Keep up the good work you are doing with your exercise and diet. Keep that up and you will achieve what you want in time sooner than you think. Then, will begin the tougher task of maintaining. Good Luck.

If you have no further question you may close the query with comments and stars.
It was a pleasure interacting with you.

Dr Anil Grover