Is there any treatment available for power of -14 in the eye?

Jun 2015

Hi, My niece is having -14 in her left eye and 4 in her right eye, she is 9yrs and doctors say there is not treatment for her left eye with -14. Seeking your thoughts and suggestions.
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 4 hours later

A refractive power of -14 in the left eye indicates high degree of Myopia.
And your Doctor is right in suggesting that surgery cannot be undertaken at the present age of 9 years.
So the management modalities available are:
1. Refractive glasses - but they have the disadvantage of making the eyes worse(eyes get tired easily), as they increase the accommodation needed by the eyes to focus & also cause chromatic aberration.

2. Contact lenses/ Orthokertalogy lenses - though difficult to maintain at an young age, they are a better option than Refractive glasses, specially during the schooling years, as they are closer to the eyes and requires less accommodation & also does not cause chromatic aberration.

Even the studies have shown that the use of Orthokertalogy lenses is beneficial in preventing the progression of Myopia/near sightedness in children. will be better to consult an Ophthalmologist & discuss about these non-surgical methods of management.
And once she reaches suitable age, surgical procedure can be carried out to manage the Refractive power in her eyes.

Wishing you niece a Good Health. Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.