Is there any test available to diagnose deafness? Is this genetic?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
My girlfriends grandfather( dads Dad) has deafness, but the cause is unknown.
her father is unaffected.
How can I know whether she is carrier or not?
Please help me
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Genetics

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Hello
Thanks for your query. Based on the fact that you have posted it appears that the grandfather of your girlfriend who is likely to be more than 70 years old has deafness. You want to know about any test that can provide or diagnose whether your girlfriend would have deafness in the future.
First of all the deafness of her grandfather, in the absence of any organic cause like Diabetes, is most likely age related and not uncommon at old age. In addition, there are no tests that can determine the possibilities of your girlfriend acquiring deafness in the future.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.

Dr.Patil..

Follow-up: Is there any test available to diagnose deafness? Is this genetic? 1 hour later
Her grandfather had deafness when he was born and he cannot speak since that time.
I want to know if the deafness causing gene is carried or not.
Her dad is not deaf and my girlfriend is hearing too.
My question is if I marry her what test you think is important to know that our children wont be deaf?
Her grandfathers mom dad were hearing and his siblings were normal too.
I just want to know wether the mutation is carried forward or not.
My girlfriend has sister and she is hearing too.
Doctor please help me with these questions.
Thanking you.

Thanks for feedback.

My earlier answer was based on the information posted by you, which was rather incomplete. From the facts that you have posted it appears that none of the family members in her family has similar issues. This itself indicates that no one is carrier in her family.

There are fewer chances of your kids being the victim of this abnormality. However, it will be better if you consult someone who is specialized in the field of Genetic Disorders. You can probably get your girlfriend tested for chromosomal analysis pre-natally to check for any kind of point mutations.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions, I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.

Dr.Patil..

Follow-up: Is there any test available to diagnose deafness? Is this genetic? 2 hours later
I would definitely consult someone who is specialized in that field.
You are great doctor! thank you very much for advice.
So you mean if her dad is not affected indicates that its not inherited?
Thanks once again.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 38 minutes later
Thanks for follow up and comments about me.

I again emphasize that this is not inherited in her family members.

Thanks with Regards.

Dr. XXXXXXX