Is there any syrup to increase my weight?

Dietitian & Nutritionist
Hi, i am 48 kg Height 175cm, i need to increase my weight. from childhood itself my weight like this only looking lean, is this any problem? my dad also medium weight looking lean, my mom also like that only. Is there any tablets, Syrup is there to increase weight?
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Diet Plans
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 2 days later
Brief Answer: Calorie - protein rich diet with weight exercises Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for posting the query. The data provided by you indicated that your BMI (Body Mass Index) is 15.7 kg/m2, indicating that your weight for the given height and age is low. Ideally your body weight should be between 73 - 77 Kg. Lower body weight mostly associated with lack of muscles and in some cases the deficiency of certain important nutrients. The reasons of low body weight are many but the in your case it appears to be related to the genes. However, it is also true that the factors like environment, health and social life plays a part in your weight management. It is therefore, very important for you to be careful, and eliminate all the possible reasons of lower body weight. You may consider the following changes in your diet for healthy weight gain: o Divide your meals into smaller and frequent portions; this would enable the body to consume an adequate amount of calories and use them judiciously. o Include nuts and oilseeds in your daily diet. Nuts alone are good muscle building snacks. Rich in mono saturated fats, and even contain a healthy combination of protein and calories. For a better weight gain strategy, you can use peanut butter in different dishes. o Experiment with flax seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, pistachios, and other nuts and seeds. These are rich in protein and calcium and are good snacking options. o Include protein sources like whole beans, legumes, vegetables like mushroom, soy and milk in daily diet, for building muscles, which is a healthy way for gaining weight. o Include starchy foods like potato, tapioca, sweet potato etc., as these would provide the additional calories, which are free and easily available. This helps in the protein sparing action, i.e. these foods support the proteins to do their primary work of building body muscles rather than providing the calories. o Drink plenty of water and other fluids like tender coconut water, fresh juices, fresh soups, lemon juice etc. but avoid taking the fluids immediately before or in between the meals, as this reduces the calorie intake. o Avoid the carbonated drinks like coke, Pepsi etc. o Avoid taking snacks immediately before or around the meal timings, as it affects the appetite hence the intake of food, resulting in unbalanced food intake. o Be Consistent as it takes time for the body to adjust and show the desired results. o Keep away from junk foods, as these often contain bad oils and very less nutrition. Since your BMI, as calculated based on the height and weight provided by you is very low. Thus I would advise you to start taking the protein supplements regularly. The commercial protein supplements are concentrated and therefore to be safe, the dosage should be carefully followed as per the instructions. Consuming sufficient fluids is important while taking the supplements to facilitate the elimination of waste produced as a result of protein digestion. Consuming the supplements are safe as long as you maintain the activity levels. Since you would be adding extra calories and protein to the diet, it is very important that you do the required exercises, so that the protein is used for muscle development, instead of getting converted to fats. Simple resistant exercises like push ups, light weight etc would help. Avoid heavy cardio activities. You may take help from a professional fitness trainer to formulate the exercise pattern best suited to you. Hope this helps. Meenakshi