Is there any side effects if rota virus is given twice to a child?

Pediatrician
Question
Dear Sir, i have 3 month and 14 days baby, first dose of Rota virus is given or not i don't know if the Same does of rota virus is given to the child,so is there any side effect. looking for your reply

Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Vaccinations

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 45 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

There are two brands of Rotavirus vaccine available in India. One is Rotarix from XXXXXXX and the other is Rotateq from MSD. Two doses of Rotarix are recommended whereas three doses of Rotateq are recommended by the respective companies.

If an extra dose of Rotavirus vaccine has been given then there will be no harm or side effect. However, it is suggested that you verify the vaccination records once again before giving the dose as it is an expensive vaccine.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

RKK

Follow-up: Is there any side effects if rota virus is given twice to a child? 37 minutes later
Dear Sir,
In spite of giving Rota virus doctor give the does of shanchol (For oral cholera vaccine), two times of my child dated 18/09/12 and second dose 18/10/12.
is there is any side effect. can my baby will take first dose of Rota virus.
is both the vaccine is used for same disease. pls suggest me what i have to do and what is the maximum days for first vaccination of Rota Virus.
presently child is normal.

Looking for your reply.

Thanking You

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 9 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for the update.

Rotavirus vaccine is against Rotavirus and cholera vaccine is against the bacteria Vibrio cholerae. Both are against different organisms.

Rotavirus vaccine course has to be usually completed by 6 months of age and hence is given 4-8 weeks apart any time after 6 weeks of age. Depending on the brand used by your doctor the dose can be given to your baby now.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction.

RKK

Follow-up: Is there any side effects if rota virus is given twice to a child? 16 minutes later
Thank You sir for your kind Suggestion,
please tell me now my baby data of birth is 03/08/12 can my baby will take first dose of Rota virus.
Please suggest me.

Looking for your kind reply.

Thanks & Regards

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 17 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Yes, your child can receive the first dose of Rotavirus vaccine.

Please feel free to seek any clarification that you may have.

RKK