Is there any scientific study to prove that shaving head of the children make their hair thick and strong?

Is there any scientific study to prove or disprove the myth that shaving head of the children helps make their hair grow thick and strong?

Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
The density, texture and thickness of hair depends upon hair follicle.
The number of hair follicles determines hair density
The shape of hair follicle determines texture. Circular hair follicle makes the hair grow straight while elliptical hair follicle makes hair grow coarse curly
The size of hair follicle determines thickness. Larger is the follicle opening more thick is the hair

As far as shaving is concerned, it does not affect the hair at all. Our hair tapers towards the end. When we shave, we basically make the tapered end blunt. Thus giving the illusion that hair has grown thick. When the hair grows a bit longer it assumes its normal texture and thickness.

Hope that answers your query. Take care
Follow-up: Is there any scientific study to prove that shaving head of the children make their hair thick and strong? 11 hours later
Thanks Dr. Pathak for the info, actually that's what I though too. However I do believe there are couple of benefits of hair cut or shaving:

1) Though there is no direct relationship between hair cut/shave and the better hair but isn't it true that as the hair grows longer (for every one, but specially for kids as their hair root is soft -- I am guessing) it has to weather more (i.e. more shampooing, more effort to dry, clean...), hence more strain on hair roots. And I believe that eventually leads to poor hair quality.

2) Isn't it true that our head dissipates maximum heat? Hence doesn't it make sense to shave children's (true for everybody, but children do not need to worry about being presentable, say in a job) head during the summer months. In that sense I believe shaving head during summer is more beneficial for a child than to keep her hair long.

Please let me know if these assumptions have any truth in them, or if you would like to advise for/against (or pros or cons of) shaving the head of a child.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 31 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
I do not agree with both your assertions!
If a baby's hair roots are weak as compared to adult then the hair strand too is fine initially in comparison to adult hair. Secondly,the effects of weathering on hair shaft would not lead to hair fall provided you are using products meant for babies. The damaged hair too keeps on growing. So if you feel that your child's hair has become rough, trimming would be a better option than tonsuring the scalp.

2) in summers keeping your child's hair short would offer the same benefit as shaving. Secondly don't you think in present times we are better equipped to counter hot weather. Room fans, conditioners are good enough to maintain a pleasant room temperature then why shave head.

Shaving head can lead to nicks and trauma, scalp irritation and infection. No child is happy getting his hair shaved off. Do you think it is worth the trouble.

My niece did not undergo any mundan sanskar. The sanskar was done by just trimming her hair and she has the most beautiful hair I have seen. Having said this, if the question was asked in terms of mundan sanskar for your child, then there is no harm in getting it done just once, provided everything used is sterile. However, I do not encourage shaving a child's head frequently to have a good hair growth or to prevent her from hot weather effects.