Is there any rule in the process of combination of egg and xx sperm or xy sperm?

Is there any rule in the process of combination of egg and xx sperm or xy sperm.
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 5 hours later
Thanks for your question.
I will try to explain it for you in simple words.
All females have XX karyotype ( genetic make up ) & they can produce only one type of ovum ( egg prior to fertilization with sperm ) which has X chromosome.
On the other hand males have XY karyotype & they can produce two types of sperms half with X chromosome & half with Y chromosome.
A women normally produce one mature ovum in each menstrual cycle but a man produces millions of sperms per ejaculate, half with X sperms & half with Y sperms. Out of which normally only one sperm fertilizes the ovum to make an egg & future embryo. If X sperm fertilizes the ovum the new offspring is XX ( female ), If Y sperm fertilizes the ovum the new offspring is XY ( male). Both type of sperms have equal chance & exposure to ovum but only one lucky sperm can fertilize the ovum.
As soon as one sperm fertilizes the ovum it becomes unresponsive for remaining millions of sperms.
Now the newly fertilized egg starts developing into an embryo which later on develops into a mature fetus.
Hope I have made it clear for you, please write back if you have any question. I will be glad to help you out.
Wish you best of luck & good health.