Is there any remedy to increase my pulse rate?

Hi Doctor,
I am 42 yrs and my height is 176cm and my weight is 90kg now. I have high BP for the past 4 years. Last month I had some chest heaviness and my ECG had varied. I was admitted in the hospital and checked the Echo,Echo stress and Ultra sonic scan for kidney.All are normal.But the doctor told I am having LBBB. My lipid profile was also normal. Now I am taking amlong 5mg in the morning and Ramistar 5mg in the evening. I have another issue is that my pulse rate is below 60 in the night sometimes its going down to 45 also and in the early morning. I have back pain always just backside of heart. I am walking daily around 30minutes. Now I have a feeling of slight heaviness on the left side of my chest. What should I do doctor? Is there any other remedy. Can I do some heavy exercises to do to increase my pulse? Is my pulse decreasing because of the BP medications?What is the safety limit for the pulse? Currently without medication, my BP is 130/80 and pulse is 56, checked using electronic BP apparatus.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. Firstly, if the stress echo is negative, then it rules out the possibility of any significant blockage in the coronary arteries (arteries supplying blood to the heart).

The drugs which you’re taking, amlong and ramistar are not known to produce the fall in pulse rate.

You can definitely do heavy exercises if you intend to. The possibility of the heart disease has already been ruled out and the exercise is definitely going to do some good.

There’s nothing called the safety limit of the pulse. In fact, a slow pulse rate is good for the heart and is protective for the heart. The athletes have a slow pulse rate and this is a good sign for the heart.

The heaviness of the chest could possibly be due to a muscular ache as the coronary artery disease has been ruled out.

The gold standard test for determining the extent of blockage is the coronary angiography. It makes sense to consult a cardiologist and do the same.
Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.