Is there any relation between multiple cysts on chest and sore throat?

2 weeks ago i noticed a large acne- like cyst pop up on my chest. I didn't think much of it. However, yesterday, I woke up with a fever (100.9) and sore muscles, and a really sore throat. I figured I had contracted the flu that was going around. However, this evening, I see several more of the cysts have appeared on my neck and chest. They are incredibly swollen and painful. I'm wondering if in fact the two are related. I know I'm going to need antibiotics from the doctor. However, I don't have insurance and Id rather not spend the money if I don't have to. I have 20 500mg cephalexin left over from a wrong diagnosis last month. After taking one of the pills, the doctor told me to stop and switched me to something else. Question: Will these 20 pills be a long enough course?
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It may help if its non resistent gram positive coc Detailed Answer: Hi, At the outset, I doubt those multiple cysts and sorethroat are related to a common bacterial infection. Sore throat are commonly caused by gram positive cocci especially streptococci. Untreated bacterial infection leads to septicemia where skin lesions are found. And septicemia is unlikely to occur in a day unless you are immuno-compromised. In simple terms, since I doubt the cyst is from the sore throat causing bacteria, I am not confident that you will have resolution with 20 pills of cephalexin. Though it is not ethical to start antibiotic without confirming the type of infection, if you are financially constrained, you can start the 500mg pills as instructed earlier. Review the symptoms after 3 days of medicines. You should consider consulting the doctor if symptoms don't improve in 3 days or if the skin lesions spread further. Please understand that this is not the best possible solution; but in view of your resource this option can be tried. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards