Is there any relation between anxiety attacks and blood pressure?

Can anxiety attacks cause my blood pressure go over 200 /110? I always have normal to low pressure
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If happening frequently, discuss with your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

Anxiety doesn't cause long-term high blood pressure (hypertension). But episodes of anxiety can cause dramatic, temporary spikes in your blood pressure, even 200/ 110 mm Hg as mentioned by you. This should settle down in a while when your anxiety subsides.

Please record your blood pressure when you feel it might have raised. If those temporary episodes occur frequently, such as every day, they can cause damage to your blood vessels, heart and kidneys, as can chronic high blood pressure.

If you have trouble controlling your anxiety or if anxiety interferes with daily activities, talk to your doctor or a mental health provider to find an appropriate treatment.

I hope this helps.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor