Is there any possibility of transmission of HIV by placing open needle on the table?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
on 06.10.2013 I went to a private lab for blood testing, I got sitted after 20minutes on vaccant table, nurse teared a new disposable syringe then placed the syringe on the table after opening the cap of the needle, then she lift the syringe and took the blood sample, I could not see wheather the point of the needle touched the table or not, but I am in doubt and confused completely, though there was no visible drops of blood on the table, I gone for HIV testing after 30 days, 55 days, 92 days and 132 days, is there any possibility of transmission of HIV in this way, I have to go for more testing,
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: NO CHANCE OF HIV TRANSMISSION. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. HIV cannot be transmitted in this way. For HIV transmission, it has to a syringe shared with an individual who is HIV positive. A fresh disposable syringe was opened, and immediately utilized to draw the blood sample. The needle point would not touch the table if it was placed horizontally, as it would be parallel to the table. Also, why would the table contain blood splattered by an individual who is HIV positive ? So dont worry, and already you have gone through the requisite testing. Put the doubt out of your mind, there is no possibility of HIV transmission. All the best Please feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: Is there any possibility of transmission of HIV by placing open needle on the table? 8 hours later
If touched out of ignorance, is there scope for transmission, if so 132days testing is conclusive,

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 hours later
Brief Answer: AS BELOW Detailed Answer: A 3 month testing is conclusive, so yes, a 132 days testing is conclusive.

Follow-up: Is there any possibility of transmission of HIV by placing open needle on the table? 20 hours later
I have seen in many website that in rare cases HIV testing concludes upto 06 months, is it correct for my case.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: AS BELOW Detailed Answer: Different websites have different material, not all websites are reliable. The WHO considers 3 month testing as conclusive. Please go through the following link - http://www.aidsvancouver.org/what-we-do/helpline/online/are-my-hiv-tests-conclusive Dont worry, in your case, the test at 3 months is conclusive. Take care.