Is there any possibility of transferring nicotine sexually?

Dec 2012

My male partner, a mostly non-smoker who occasionally smokes to "alleviate stress", has recently begun using one of those electronic cigarettes during his "high-stress" work hours in the early morning to early afternoon. He said it's helping him "stay alert and focused" while he's thinking/writing several high-stakes business proposals. Today I caught him smoking a normal cigarette too! I was a smoker for many years and have now mostly quit, except for the occasional puff on a cigarette at a party. I have an odd question: I've been feeling very queasy and headachy today, and am wondering if my partner's increased nicotine intake could be in any way "transferred" to me through intercourse? Does nicotine (especially through the electronic cigarette) affect semen at all? I know... it's a strange question.
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I do not think that is possible Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I am pleased to be able to assist you with your health query. In my medical opinion that seems not possible either getting your partner sexually transfer nicotine to you or even getting a reasonable quantity in his semen. Ones nicotine is inhaled through the mouth, the greater quantity is passed to the lungs, then some into the bloodstream and could affect more the central nervous system but minimal or no quantity could be passed into urine (and I do not think it would get to the semen as this is produced by prostate gland while sperms come from testes). Besides the quantity found in e-cigarettes is so small that can generally affect him real less. So saying, in that light, you need not worry about nicotine getting into your system through your partner. If you are presenting with symptoms of lightheadedness, then it might probably be due to other causes. You might simply be feeling stressed out. You might need your blood pressure checked (just to make sure it is not BP related). I suggest you take some bed rest and if symptoms persist despite, then make sure you book an appointment to see a doctor. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Please feel free to write back if you have any other concerns. Dr. Nsah