Is there any permanent cure for paranoid schizophrenia?

Hi my husband is suffering from paranoid schizophrenia is there perminant cure for this or is there any chance that it may reoccur
Posted Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later

Thanks for choosing health care magic to post your query.

I would be more than happy to help you if you can provide me a few more details regarding your husband’s health:

1) What are his symptoms as of now?
2) How long has it been so?
3) What are the medications that he is on currently?
4) How is he behaving on his medication?

Providing such an information will let us serve you in a better way.

Hope to hear from you soon...
Follow-up: Is there any permanent cure for paranoid schizophrenia? 8 hours later
1. he is hearing to voices which are warning him that some one is going to harm him or some thing of that sort. he will start shouting him self.
2. He always speaks in himself and he will start speaking and shouting and talk about irrelevant topics like ex:some mla or mp is having angry on him and talking negatively about him. No one can control him at that moment.
3.he will talk each and every small issue and fight with me and his parents that we are wanted ly apposing him and fights with us for years even we accept that is our mistak also he wont accept.
4. he scolds his parents and sometimes he beats them also
5. When he is fully conscious he him self accepts that he has aproblem

we got married 5 year back from the day one of our marrige he is fighting with me without any reasons
i am observing this very severly from 4 years
in the initial days of our marrige he used to fight with me regarding some up and downs happend in his marrige afterwards he started pointing me for small issues like i serve him tea wantedly late and i wantedly spoil the tast of the tee and something like that

Current medication:
He is admited in vimhans hospital vijayawada and currently he was given below medicens
1.Riswel MD2
2. Chloromazine hydrochllride tablet 1.p 50 mg
3. Nodip
4. Homin
he was told to take current treatment for 4 to 5 seating and 2 sittings are over
he says voices has come down approximatly 80%
i am posting this question only for second opinion
i want to know what are the precotions to be taken and do this problem has permanent cure or not.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for a detailed explanation of his symptoms. There is no doubt that your husband is suffering paranoid schizophrenia.
He is currently on risperidone and chlorpromazine. I am not pretty sure what does "Nodip" and "homin" contain. But still risperidone is a good drug.
First episode psychosis is treated for 18-24 months and then the medications are gradually reduced after the symptoms are almost nil.
Positive symptoms such as suspiciousness and voices reduce fast but withdrawn behaviour and flat affect take a lot of time.
After this initial treatment around 60% of the patients will have a relapse of symptoms after a few years. Many of them who attain remission may not show any symptoms later on. However as of now there are no strong predictors whether your husband will develop relapse of symptoms or not after his treatment is over.
There is no permanent cure for Schizophrenia.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
If you have any further query, I will be more than happy to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly and review if possible.
Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Is there any permanent cure for paranoid schizophrenia? 9 hours later
thanx for ur reply i want to know one more thing i do not have kids if i am blessed with kids is there any possibility of having this proble for my kids also

Schizophrenia is transmitted genetically and your concerns are very much justified. If one parent has schizophrenia, then there is around 13% higher chance of developing schizophrenia among the offspring’s as compared to the general population. Therefore your son/daughters have about 13% higher chance of developing schizophrenia. Other than schizophrenia, he/she will also be prone to develop mood disorder, anxiety disorder and personality disorder as well.

But please understand that though 13% is quite high, still a significant number of children may not develop any illness at all and can live a positive life. Even if anybody develops initial symptoms of psychosis, the same if treated at early stages has higher chances of remission and getting treated completely. So, practically you don't need to panic and can bear children. Only issue is that you should be watchful of any problematic behaviour in your children as they grow.

Keeping statistics apart, I have personally seen many children of schizophrenic parents doing well in their life and also taking care of their mentally ill parents.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.
In case you don’t need any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and mention a review if possible.

Wish you a good health!