Is there any pathological test available to detect rabies in human?

Hello!! is there any pathological test available to detect rabies in human.Please answer
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
There is no single test to detect rabies in human being. It is always better to do post-exposure prophylaxis in any dog bite which nearly rules out the chance of getting infected. Your daughter has dog bite so immediately consult your doctor he/she will give the post-exposure vaccination.
For your query, if person is bitten by the dog, the animal is the best source of detection rabies. There are several ways to detect rabies in dogs. In old days isolation and observation of animal was done. If animal got disease, there are high chances of human being infected.
Now , there are multiple test(direct immunofluroscece test (DFA), Polymerase chain reaction PCR) which can be performed on animal by using his dead brain tissue.
There is no single test in human beings. We have to use multiple test using saliva, blood or spinal fluid.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns
Follow-up: Is there any pathological test available to detect rabies in human? 20 hours later
Sir,The dog has bitten my daughter on 21-Sep-12 and we have vaccinated her on 21-Sep,24-Sep & 27-Sep and dog has died also without being post mortemed.

Can you advise us for the dose of Rabipur vaccine(Prescribed by our consultant doctor) along with any booster dose if required.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 28 minutes later

First thing I want tell you that, you have taken very proper treatment.

Rabipur is given in 3 dose schedule in duration of 3-4 weeks. If the dog is suspected of rabies then schedule is day1, day 4 and day7. Your daughter has taken all injections already. Dose is given according to extent of injury, and I think your doctor has already examined the wound and then given the injections. So don’t worry.

Regarding the booster dose, there is no such need routinely. But if you want an extra precaution then booster can be given after 3 years.

Hope I have answered your query. If still you have any queries, feel free to ask.

Thanking you.