Is there any other treatment or tests for severe heartburn?

I have been having very severe heartburn for several months. Per my doctor I am taking Prilosec daily. I had an endoscopy 3 weeks ago and my doctor stated there were no abnormalities except I had excessive amounts of bile in my stomach and esophagus. I had ulcer surgery 30 years ago and had my duodenum flap removed, I had not problems until the last several months. The doctor also now prescribed Tramadol daily in addition to the Prilosec, but I have had little relief. Is there any other treatment or tests I should have?
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestions below... Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your medical history and understood your concerns. The very first thing I would suggest to consult cardiologist and to run ECG, cardiac echo or other tests he/she might judge would be suitable for your case. This is to exclude heart problems. Excessive amounts of bile in stomach and esophagus indicate for GERD. Such amounts of bile present in the stomach could also be related to the intervention you had. So, I suggest to - measure the pH of esophagus for 24 hours - do abdominal echo to see the status of gallbladder, liver and pancreas. - can start taking motilium together with Prisolec - eat often, slowly and small portions - avoid spicy foods, chillies, fatty or citrus foods - use 2 pillows to sleep Hope it answered to your inquiries! All the best! Dr.Klerida