Is there any other treatment option apart from surgery for varicose veins in my right leg?

General Surgeon
Hi, I am XXXX aged 35 years, I am having varicose veins on my right leg. I consulted one of the doctor and suggested me to go for surgery. I would like to know, is it really required to go for surgery or any other medical teatement is available. Thanks & Regards, XXXX
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Operative decision depends on many factors Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXXXX If Varicose vein is associated with other symptoms or complications like the following surgery is usually advisable 1. Pain: Pain which is not responding to conservative medical management and the pain is due to varicose vein 2. Presence of Varioce Ulcer/ eczema/Hyperpigmentation 3. Presence of severe reflux ( Incompetent Sapheno-femoral junction) along with associated symptoms. The decision to operate or carry out conservative management depends of overal clinical profile of every patient. It depends based on the symptoms and investigation findings like doppler scanning. Conservative management(Non-Surgical treatment) includes the following advise 1. Graded Compression stockings: To be worn immediately after getting up from bed and to be removed while retiring to bed 2. Limb elevation while sleeping: By placing pillow under the leg 3. Avoiding prolonged standing 4. Proper walking technique: Placing heel first on the ground 5. Massage The decision is based on many factors. In case you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon