Is there any option beside surgery to get rid of fibroid without damaging my uterus?

Infertility Specialist
Please see my Ultrasound report below. I'd like to know whether this fibroid prevents me from pregnancy. Is there any option beside surgery to get rid of it without damaging uterus? CLINICAL INDICATIONS: pelvic mass SE (LOCATION) CLINICAL COMMENTS: Pregnancy Information:N TRANSABDOMINAL PELVIC ULTRASOUND; TRANSVAGINAL ULTRASOUND: Transabdominal and transvaginal evaluation of the pelvis was done. The uterus is 10.0 cm in length and 1.8 x 7.4 cm in transverse dimension. The endometrium is 4 mm in thickness. There is a 6.7 cm mural and subserosal mass in the posterior fundus. There is no evidence of intrauterine pregnancy.No significant abnormality of the bladder is demonstrated. There is suboptimal visualization of the ovaries. The right ovary is 2.5 x 1.8 x 1.5 cm in size. The left ovary is 2.3 x 1.7 x 1.4 cm in size. There is no evidence of cysts, adnexal masses, or free fluid in the pelvis. IMPRESSION: Fibroid uterus
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Incomplete Scan Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to healthcare magic. 1) First let me discuss about fibroid. Fibroid is of quite big size at 6.7 cms which is considerable big. But good thing is that it is situated in intramural and subserosal area and not submucous. Submucous fibroids are notorious for causing infertility and others are not much significant. 2) You get a hysteroscopic examination of uterine cavity which will safely let you know if its extending inside and can be removed surgically. 3) Scan report should have mentioned follicle (egg) count meaning how many eggs are inside each ovary. This will help me in deciding ovarian reserve since you are 42. 4) Please get following blood tests on second day of your cycl: FSH, LH, AMH, Prolactin, TSH & Please send me report. 5) Get TVS on second day and check for follicle (egg) count. In your case i am more concerned about egg count than fibroid. Send me the reports you have and let me know if you have any more doubts. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol IVF & Infertility Specialist
Follow-up: Is there any option beside surgery to get rid of fibroid without damaging my uterus? 42 hours later
Dr Koregol, Thank you for your detailed reply. I appreciate it. Regarding item 1. In your opinion, it does not cause infertility at all. but will it prevent me from getting pregnant? Is it absolutely necessary to remove it surgically? Item 2 - so I need to get a hysteroscopic exam of uterine cavity. Can OBG prescribe this exam or has to be infertility specialist? same questions for item 3-5? Thank you in advance for your help. Regards, XXXX Thanks again for your quick reply. Could you please offer your opinion regarding the below procedure to remove the fibroid? Thanks, Uterine fibroid embolization (UFE), also known as uterine artery embolization, is performed by an interventional radiologist, a physician who is trained to perform this and other types of embolization and minimally invasive procedures. It is performed while the patient is conscious, but sedated and feeling no pain. It does not require general anesthesia.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Less Chances Detailed Answer: Hi, 1) Fibroid if submucous is likely to cause infertility. Since your fibroid is intramural and subserous chances of infertility due to fibroid are less ( I cant say not at all). 2) Any OBG can prescribe hysteroscopy and item 3 to 5. Please get item 3 to 5 tested before deciding anything. Regards Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi I agree its s safe procedure and good. But by doing this you can stop further growth of fibroids. But what about removing existing fibroids. This procedure is suitable for women who have no desire for pregnancy hence not suitable for you. I have seen your report and I believe surgery by Laparoscopy is best way to remove them. Regards