Is there any medication or procedure to increase the sperm count to get pregnant?

Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Prasad 25 hours later

Reviewing your history, there are 2 problems
1. 2 missed abortions
2. Low sperm counts.

I agree with your gynecologist with the fact that low sperm counts might be the factor causing repeat abortions. Probably a chromosomal defect or non identifiable factors cause early abortions as nature deny the growth of such malformed foetus.

Having said that, low sperm count (Oligospermia) is found, correcting the cause will solve this issue. There are no proven medications or procedures may be effective in increasing the sperm count. I hope your husband is not a smoker and alcohol. Smoking and alcohol may influence sperm counts. A good diet with vitamin and zinc supplements may be used, but may not be sufficient to correct the problem independently.

If a treatable cause is not found, then the right solution is pregnancy via artificial methods. Further, your gynecologist is right again, that IUI may not be helpful. You probably will need invitro fertilisation procedures.

Hope I have answered your query adequately. I will be available for follow up queries.

Follow-up: Is there any medication or procedure to increase the sperm count to get pregnant? 21 hours later
Hi Doc,

Thanks for the reply but, as we both are still young can't there be an option of increasing the sperm count or any other solution?
Also, in case we have to go for the artificial insemination how long should i be on bed rest and is there any chance of failure in the process as it's an expensive procedure i have concern about chances of success.

Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for follow up,

Well there are facts established that consuming foods XXXXXXX in Zinc and Selenium help in sperm production but there are no good therapeutic base over the facts.

The procedure of Artificial insemination is very minor and need not more than few hours of bed rest.

Yes, there are chances of failure in the procedures.Its estimated that the success rate is about 30 to 40 % in people with three consecutive attempts( In India).

Wish you al the best.