Is there any medication for chronic back pain other than methadone?

I have had chronic pain for at least 15 yrs, I have tried a lot of different medications, the only one that seems to work for me is methadone. I recently tried tramadol and the head buzz made me sick literally. Is there any time release methadone or anything similar?
Posted Tue, 17 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Chronic backache is probably due to muscle spasm Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. I am afraid that the information provided is inadequate. Hence, in order to PINPOINT the exact cause of your problems; give you a SOUND professional advice; and, TRUE VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY, I request you to kindly provide additional information as follows :- # Where exactly do you have pain in the lower back? Kindly describe the nature of pain in more detail. Is it a sort of stabbing pain occurring on movements? # Any history of injury to the back or any other part of the body in the past? # Any pain in other joints, particularly pelvic pain under the butt? # Have you ever had acute redness of any eye? # Is there any history or recurrent urinary infection in the past? # How's the bowel movements? # Chest pain or breathless on slight exertion? Nevertheless, pending receipt of the additional information, I am of the opinion that you have a chronic spasm of the back muscles, which will not get relief from pain killers alone. Moreover, development of addiction to methadone is very common. Use of a muscle relaxant + anti-inflammatory drug, such as a combination of chlorzoxaone (muscle relaxant) + ibuprofen + paracetamol (anti-inflammatory drugs), should give you relief. You may try this combination as a substitute to methadone. Further, there is only one set of ribs. Each rib extends from the front of chest (attached to sternum) all the way to the back, where it is attached to the vertebral column. Sometimes, a blunt chest injury may cause fracture of a rib (or several ribs), which may produce constant pain in the back, similar to that of yours. The other possible causes of chronic back pain are:- # Underlying disease of the pleura ( a bag-like cavity which surrounds the lungs) # Disc herniation or vertebral collapse of the chest region. # Certain autoimmune disorders # Commonly, chronic kidneys' infection also present with constant pain in the lower back. # Osteoporosis # Small focal lesions in the ribs There are certain conditions which are associated with similar pain. A CURATIVE treatment will give permanent relief: Pain-killers, such as methadone, does NOT cure the condition but gives only temporary relief from pain. Hence, the additional information has been requested for, so that a definite cause of the chronic pain can be made and curative treatment started. I will request you to kindly upload all test reports, including CT/MRI reports, which will give me invaluable leads to pinpoint the underlying cause. Lastly, Methadone does NOT come in extended release or timed-release form. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. AWAITING ADDITIONAL INPUT AS REQUESTED. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal