Is there any link between osteoporosis hypermobility and pmdd?

I was wondering if osteoporosis hypermobility and pmdd are linked? And if so how do you cure the pmdd in this situation?
Posted Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 10 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. I have read it with diligence.

To answer your query specifically, there is no relation or link between Osteoporosis hypermobility and PMDD (Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder).

The osteopenia in you seems like an inherent problem that has led to so many fractures, dislocations and hypermobility with resultant correction of them all.

The causes for PMDD and Hypermobile osteoporosis are different and the pathology in these two conditions differs as well.

To cure the PMDD in particular, a few of the below measures may be tried.

1. Anti-depressants like SSRIs are very helpful in the initial stages.

2. Regular aerobic exercises, healthy and balanced diet, good sleep hygiene.

3. Birth control pills, multivitamin supplements have been tried and are found useful in many patients.

4. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is indicated in few patients with worse symptoms.

My suggestions for you would be:

- Keep a check on your Bone Mineral Density (BMD) annually to prevent future complications.

- Calcium supplements with vitamin D3 seems like a MUST in you.

- A glass of milk, cashews, almonds and nuts on a daily basis.

- Check your gonadal hormones profile with FSH and LH. Hormonal replacement or birth control pills may be started accordingly.

- Keeping a calendar of the symptoms will help you in the long run to manage your daily activities effectively.

Hope I have been of help to you. Do let me know if you have more concerns.

I wish you a long quality life.