Is there any injection for painless delivery? Side effects?

Mu wife is preganat.
I came to know about painless deleivery. some sort of injection is avaibale for it.
Can you please explain and let me know the pros and cons of it.

Posted Thu, 28 Jun 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 4 hours later
Yes. Epidural injection is available for painless delivery. it is usually given when the patient is in active labour, about 3 cm dialated. This is continued throughout the Labour and during stitching. If the patient fails to deliver vaginally, it can be used to give anaethesia for C section. T
he advantages are that delivery is painless.
The disadvantage are that it may prolong the duration of labour and sometimes it can cause severe side effects like infection around the spinal cord. In rare cases, it can affect the breathing and heart functions.
However it is generally considered safe and effective and is used frequently in modern obs.