Is there any exercise that could stop the progression of cognitive impairment?

Nov 2013

Are there exercises that might help stem the cognitive impairment caused by white matter disease>
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. Yes, there are several brain and physical exercises, that could slow or stop the progression of cognitive impairment in your case. These are described below: Solving puzzles and Sudoku: The simplest of them are solving crossword puzzles and Sudoku. These are commonly found in daily newspapers, and can be routinely done at home. Similarly, solving riddles can also help. Learning something new: No age is old enough to prevent learning something new. You can still learn a new language, a new skill such as painting & coloring, music & singing, dancing, driving a vehicle, etc. These new skills stimulate different areas of brain and can prevent dementia. Practice memorizing: The best way to enhance memory or prevent it from declining is to practice memorizing. Just like a student revises a topic before examinations and does well, you can choose to memorize different things on different days. It could be currencies of different countries one day, capitals of those countries another day and names of Nobel laureates the other day. Do something new or different: This could include taking a new route to reach your grocery shop, or your friend’s place. It could also include doing things with your left hand, where you would have normally used the right hand. Using left hand stimulates the right side of brain (as compared to right hand activity that stimulates the left side of brain). You could also re-arrange your home furniture, or wardrobe, or kitchen utensils, etc. I am sure these exercises would help you improve your cognition. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: