Is there any danger of getting infection after touching a worm?

Question
Hello Dr. I touched a worm or a slug,not sure which, to move it and then afterwards a doorknob outside.It was icy and wet outside but I didn't wash my hands.Is there any danger of someone else coming along and getting sick by touching it?
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: it is not likely Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic There is a particular parasite called angiostrongylus catonensis that can reside in snails and slugs. These creatures become infected by the ingestion of infected rat faeces. This parasite can cause meningitis but this can only occur if the snail or slug is eaten raw, the use of salads with slugs or snails or drinking contaminated water. Based on this route of transmission it is highly unlikely that any one would infected by coming into contact with the door nob. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Is there any danger of getting infection after touching a worm? 13 minutes later
Thanks Dr. In your opinion is it safe to forget about the incident from my point of view since I am delivery driver and am unlikely to see the occupants of the home ? Joe

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: no likely complications at all Detailed Answer: HI Yes, you can forget about, it is extremely unlikely to impossible that you caused any harm at all. it would be fine

Follow-up: Is there any danger of getting infection after touching a worm? 2 minutes later
Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: no problem Detailed Answer: You're welcome, please feel free to contact with any other questions