Is there any cure for vitilgo?

Dr i am suffering from vitilgo. Is there any cure for this?
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Cause and treatment options listed ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Vitiligo is a skin condition brought about by loss of the skin coloring pigment called melanin. This condition is seen in all races, but is more common in people having darker skin. Although the exact reason why ad how the melanin is either destroyed or not produced has not been proven till date, but the most widely accepted theory is that the body's immunity mistakenly recognizes melanin to be foreign and attacks it, resulting in its decrease or complete lack of production. Treatment for vitiligo depends on the individual and the kind of response the body has. In some individuals no treatment is required at all, as the immune system discontinues the destruction of melanin, and the individuals skin tone returns to normal. In others, we have the following treatment options: -Corticosteroid creams: Which tales about 3-6 months to show effect, but has proven to be effective -Photo-chemotherapy: Includes either application or oral consumption of a substance called psoralen, followed by exposure to ultraviolet light (UV) -Topical vitamin D derivatives -Topical immunomodulators: To prevent the destruction of melanin - UV or laser therapy -Surgical procedures: Skin grafting, blister grafting (where the affected skin is blistered and eventually peels off), tattooing of the depigmented region with the original skin color Treatment depends entirely on the affected area and region, so I would suggest you visit a doctor ma'am, who will choose and imply the most suitable treatment option for you. I am sure we can find a solution to your condition. I hope you found my response both helpful and effective. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes ma'am.
Follow-up: Is there any cure for vitilgo? 1 hour later
can u suggest good dermatologist who can give me treatment.
Brief Answer: All dermatologists will be trained ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello once again ma'am. All dermatologists will be trained to treat vitiligo ma'am, so you may consult any dermatologist in the area. You can also ask around, or visit a multi-specialty hospital which generally employs the best consultants. I am sorry I am unable to help you with contact details of dermatologists in Mumbai, Maharashtra, as I am unaware about this information. I hope you found my response helpful ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.