Is there any correlation between menstruation and bradycardia?

Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Radhika 12 hours later

Thanks for the query. You have provided me with good information. You find that your heart rate decreases during your menstrual cycle.

The menstrual cycle is divided into several phases. The first day of the menstrual cycle begins with menstruation. Next, the follicular phase occurs. Ovulation then happens before the final phase, which is called the luteal phase. During the menstrual cycle, blood pressure may vary slightly.

Hormones are possibly the cause for blood pressure variations during the menstrual cycle. Specifically, progesterone may cause blood pressure to rise slightly.

According to some studies, normotensive(normal pressure) women demonstrate a slight but significant increase in am(day) and pm(night) resting pulse, and increase in pm (night) systolic blood pressure during the luteal phase of the cycle.

In response to stress, women experienced significant increase in heart rate, blood pressure, adrenaline level, leukocyte count, hematocrit, fibrinogen, antigen, and tPA (tissue plasminogen activator) activity. These changes were more pronounced in the luteal phase.

So according to studies it shows slight increase in heart rate and blood pressure during this stage and not a decrease.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.