Ask a Homeopath   »  

Is there any contradicting effect of consuming coconut oil as a supplement along with Coumadin?

Is it okay to add cocoanut oil as a supplement while taking Coumadin?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Alternative Medicine
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

To my knowledge and after some research here I do not see any absolute contraindication to taking coconut oil along with Coumadin. It is important to clarify the amount of this coconut that you will be consuming in order to really say with good amount of confidence that there is no problem.

At the same time it is extremely important that you shared your dietary plans with your doctor. I would recommend that you obtain a Coumadin level within one or two weeks after starting in the coconut supplement. This is the only real way to tell how much the coconut might affect your Coumadin.

There are simply no long-term studies on the use of coconut along with Coumadin so there is no easy answer to your question. To my knowledge again there has been no publication which indicates that there is any danger in taking coconut along with your medication.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would certainly be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert