Is there any complication if child swallowed thyronorm?

Hi ,
My two year old son was playing with thyronom , and we suspect that he might have taken the tablet .
what would you suggest to do now , doctors in the hospital said that now it is not required to bring , unless he shows some problems like vomiting or tiredness.
can you pls kindly help .

Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

If there is a strong suspicion that he might have consumed few tablets then immediate medical attention is definitely necessary.

Did you find him chewing the tablets? Or some tablet powder in the mouth? It is highly unlikely that they swallow tablets at that age. So if they chew definitely some powder can be seen present in the mouth.

How many tablets were estimated to be there in the bottle? (With how many tablets the bottle was bought minus total consumed may be calculated easily)

How long it has been that he was found like that. (If it is more than few hours then stomach wash is not of much use)

How is he now? Is he playful and active or having any problems like vomiting etc.

Just count his heart/pulse rate. This will give a clue if he consumed or not. (This will be useful if some time is passed between consumption and now)

Please reply in detail.
Please make your home child proof.

Follow-up: Is there any complication if child swallowed thyronorm? 17 hours later
Thanks much Doctor.
we are fortunate that no problems are seen and my son is fine now.

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 13 minutes later

Thank God that nothing has happened.

I also appreciate you for informing me of the same.

I request you to child proof the house.

Like take care of the electric plugs, door stoppers for doors, not leaving your child alone on a cot etc etc.

Prevention is always better than cure.

You may contact me regarding your baby on the following URL...........

I would be more than happy to help you.

Hope this helps.