Is there any chance that taking malarone (a malaria prophylactic) could make me miss my period?

Question
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Malarone is not likely to be associated with amenorrhea. The period that you have missed is more likely to be due to pregnancy or other minor hormonal disturbances.
Right now I advise you to get a pregnancy test done using the kits available at all the pharmacies. Be careful to use the morning sample of urine for the test. After ruling out the pregnancy other hormonal disturbances need to be investigated with the help of your gynecologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Is there any chance that taking malarone (a malaria prophylactic) could make me miss my period? 7 hours later
I'm currently in Bujumbura, Burundi, and won't have access to a kit until I get home on Saturday, December 11. Last night I got a little bit of spotting (not fresh blood) and mucous discharge when I went to the bathroom. Could that have been my period? Or could that have been implantation blood? Doesn't implantation blood normally come before you're supposed to have your period?

Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The spotting you had is more likely to be implantation bleeding rather than your period.
Implantation bleeding usually occurs 1-2 days after the due date of periods.
Do check your urine for pregnancy when you reach home.
Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.