Is there any chance of getting pregnant when have had sex during mensturation?

Mar 2016

I am very worried about a possible pregnancy. Me and my ex-girlfriend had sex on the 4th and 5th day of her menstrual cycle. In both cases unprotected and ejaculating inside. During the sex on the 4th day, she was still menstruating heavily. The 5th day happened to be the first day of no bleeding. We took Plan B Morning After Pill on the 5th day (30 hrs after the first unprotected sex and 12 hours after the second unprotected sex where she had stopped bleeding). 3 months ago she took 2 Plan B Pills during the same week, which led to her having irregular cycles in the last 3 months. Her last cycle last was 37 days. Before the irregular cycles, she had 28day cycles.

We both learned our lesson now and will start using better methods for contraception in our future sexual encounters. However I cannot help but be very worried, as we are not together anymore (we separated and live far from each other) and we live in Brazil where abortions are not legal. I am tying to move on with my life but the thought of her possibly getting pregnant keeps me from being able to get her out of my head and move on. Is it possible that she already started ovulating on the 4th/5th day? Is Plan B still effective for her considering she took it before in excessive dose a few months ago? Doctor, how likely is it that she is pregnant?
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: NO CHANCE OF PREGNANCY. DON'T BE WORRIED. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. 1) You did unprotected sex on SAFE period (during menstruation and first 5 days after period) and she also took Plan B within first 24 hrs. There is NO chance of pregnancy from above sexual activity. You wouldn't be worried about that. 2) Ovulation doesn't occur on 4th/5th day of menstrual cycle. It occurs 14 days prior to next due date. Pregnancy is possible when ejaculation takes place at the time of ovulation or fertile days (in the middle of cycle). 3) Plan B or other emergency pill is effective for 72 hrs to 120 hrs (max) after consumption. Previous excessive dose of Plan B is NOT effective in this case. 4) Irregular taking of emergency pill may cause irregular period due to hormonal imbalance. Mental stress or upset, PCOD, over weight, pelvic infection are other underlying causes for the same. Hope, I have answered your queries. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Good luck and practice safe sex always. Regards, Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Is there any chance of getting pregnant when have had sex during mensturation? 19 minutes later
Hi Doctor. Thank you for your response! But due to irregular cycles could it not be possible that she might have an extremely short cycle by chance this time and therefore theoretically be fertile during early menstruation days? Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: NO CHANCE OF OVULATION DURING MENSTRUATION. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. NO, ovulation can't take place during menstrual cycle or next day after period over even in extremely irregular short cycle. She also took Plan B within 12 hrs of 2nd time unprotected sex. In above case, she CAN'T be pregnant as her cycle was more than 21 days. She can undergo one home pregnancy test to clear doubts. All the best. Don't be worried. Regards, Dr Soumen