Is there an emergency medication against HIV infection? Condom broke during intercourse. Taken Duovir . Will it help?

Dermatologist
Question
Dear Doc
During intercourse with SW, condom got burst-ed. This incident took place 20 hours back.
Is there any emergency medicine available against possible HIV infection?. I have taken a tablet of Duovir-150. Will it be helpful?
What are exact tests to be done for HIV and other STDs and after how many days from the incident.

Thanx
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 4 hours later

Thanks for your querry.

The chances of getting infected through mucus membrane (vaginal mucose of the women) is slightly lower than with needle stick injury and through blood transfusion. There is less than 1% risk. It all depends on whether you have stopped penetrating after tearing of condom or not.

The earliest test could be done is p24 antigen assay which will be positive by 14 days and disappears by 25 days. this test is done only in referral labs
the prophylactic drug which can be used are
1. zidovudine
2. lamvudine
both drugs have to be taken as a prophylactic course to prevent duplication of virus if at all it entered your body and are suspicious about your partner. Though you had taken anti retroviral drug, I suggest you seek the entire course from the Venereologist or STD specialist in your locality.

Also for other STD (sexual transmitted disease) you may wait and do VDRL (blood test) after three months only as the incubation period is three months. By the same time you may undergo ELISA for HIV also as repeat test even if p24 is negative by two weeks.

Urine routine examination can be done to rule uretheritis.

It is better to XXXXXXX a doctor locally, get counselled and appropriate care. You can go to local VCTC centre in the government hospital which are recognized for holistic care against HIV transmission.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Prasad PVS

Follow-up: Is there an emergency medication against HIV infection? Condom broke during intercourse. Taken Duovir . Will it help? 2 hours later
"The earliest test could be done is p24 antigen assay which will be positive by 14 days and disappears by 25 days. this test is done only in referral labs"

Please explain it again.When should I do P24 Antigen Assay. Is it to be done after two weeks.

I should do ELISA after three months along with VDRL and repeat P24 Antigen Assay at the same time. Is that what do you advice?

Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 17 hours later
Do a p24 assay after two weeks after exposure.

If it is negative, chances of acquiring HIV is very less.

However you can confirm negativity by doing ELISA test at three months.

At that time, do a VDRL test too i.e. at 90 days.

No need to repeat p24 at that time i.e. at 90 days.

I hope I am clear.

Pvs XXXXXXX