Is there an alternative to surgery for removal of gall bladder stone?

My wife has detected Galbladder stone of size 1.09cm in USG. Surgeon has suggested operation to remove the galbladder with stone. Is there any alternative treatment by which only stone get removed from the bladder or it can be dissolved in galbladder. My wifes age is 32 Years. Please suggest.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 12 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

Gallstone formation is due to two factors -

1) An abnormal concentrated bile that is secreted by the liver. This could be secondary to the genes or may be precipitated by certain drugs or states like pregnancy. Other than avoiding some drugs and keeping a low body weight nothing much can be done on this aspect.

2) Prolonged stasis of the supersaturated bile in the gallbladder leading to stone formation. Hence the nonfunctioning of the gallbladder leads to stone development and removal of only stones and leaving behind the gallbladder leads to recurrence.

As of today there are no approved stone dissolving medications and removal of gallbladder is the standard of treatment.

After removal of gallbladder, its function is taken up by the bile duct and normally nothing significant happens after surgery.

Just confirm with your doctor that the pain is because of the gallstone and if so please go ahead with the surgery.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Is there an alternative to surgery for removal of gall bladder stone? 10 hours later
Actually sever pain occured 06 months back in the abdomen with Vomitings.Local medical centre treated it with pain killer injection and vomiting stoppage injection.03 months back a short duration pain occured in the abdomen and get controlled by bio-chem drug.few weeks back pain bn lower abomenin both sides of the stomach has been observed and controlled by Rantac by local doctor based on his suggestion we have made USG of the abdomen. We are unclear wheather the pain is due to Galstone or indigestion. Please clarify, with these symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 13 hours later

It will be difficult for me to say anything without examination. One has to look at any tenderness in the gallbladder area, any palpable gallbladder, gallbladder wall thickness and if possible the gallbladder thickness to decide if the gallstones were the cause of the symptoms.

I am really sorry since a physical examination is a must to arrive at a confirmed diagnosis. Hence consult your doctor for further help.