Is there an alternative for surgery due to leg pain? Suggest the best place for surgery.

Question
SHOULD I GO FOR SURGERY OR IS THEIR ANY OTHER BETTER ALTERNATIVE OPTION. IF THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION THEN PLEASE SUGGEST THE BEST PLACE TO GO FOR THE SURGERY.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 10 hours later

Based on your MRI, if you have radiating pain to your legs more than 4-6weeks not relieved by medications; surgery is the next option.

If you had not tried physiotherapy or epidural injections you may try them before opting for surgery to see the response.

Regarding the place for surgery there are patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor.

You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW .

I hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Is there an alternative for surgery due to leg pain? Suggest the best place for surgery. 7 days later
I have attached the MRI snapshots of both sides, please go through the same and kindly clarify my dilemma that should I go for the surgery or is their any other option left. Please suggest the best institute to go for the surgery and is there any side effects if I don't opt for the surgery. And if possible, I would like to have a brief telephonic conversation with the specialist regarding the matter. Please provide contact details and timing regarding the same. As I am the only guardian of my family therefore I need a little guidance regarding the same.

Kamal XXXXXXX
Patna.
Mob: 0000

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for getting back,

Please describe your illness in detail as I can not suggest a surgery by reading the MRI alone.

We try to treat the patient as a whole and not MRI.

thanks

Follow-up: Is there an alternative for surgery due to leg pain? Suggest the best place for surgery. 32 hours later
Jai XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

SIR,

As per your instructions I have already send MRI snapshots (12 copies) along with report yesterday morning. Please take a look at the same.

I am having pain in my legs for continuous two months which is making me diffcult in doing normal day to day activities as well. I was initially taking pain killers for the same, as per the advise of the neurophysician but since two weeks I am getting a bit relief in the pain by switching to ayurvedic medications, massing legs and back with ayurvedic oil and wearing lumbar sacral belt.

So I request you to please advice me that should I go for any alternative medications such as Ayurved, Yoga as I am getting relief from my present ayurvedic medications but I am not sure of getting total relief with the same.

If I opt for the surgery then would I be getting 100% relief from my present problem or would there be any side-effects of the same or is there any other better alternate option regarding the same.

I am hoping to get a better conclusion from your advice and I am thankful for your concern regarding the same.

Kamal XXXXXXX
Mob:0000

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank you for the details and MRI snapshots

You definitely have problems due to disc prolapse and by 6-8 weeks many patients start experiencing some relief of symptoms; and that seems to be true in your case (you would think it is of ayurveda treatment; but I believe its the natural course of the disease !!)
Since you are getting some relief, let us keep our fingers crossed and go for another 6-8 weeks of similar treatment (modern medicine/yoga/ayurveda anything that you mentally feel comfortable with)I feel you would get better
In case you dont get better, surgery would be the best option and usually very good relief of symptoms (many of my patients have absolute pain relief, although I never guarantee 100% to anyone, as the outcome is always unpredictable)
I hope you would get better and wish you all the best for speedy recovery

Follow-up: Is there an alternative for surgery due to leg pain? Suggest the best place for surgery. 35 hours later
Good morning Dr XXXXXXX

I am thankful for your valuable advice and I really admire your understanding regarding my problem.

Please suggest any medicine, therapy or treatment other than surgery which would
get me some relief from my present problem. And if possible, I would like to have a brief tele conversation with you regarding the same.

May this Dhanteras Celebrations
endow you with opulence and prosperity...
Happiness comes at your steps
Wishing many bright future in your life
Shubh Dhanteras !!

Kamal XXXXXXX
Mob: 0000
Email: YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 14 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thank you again for writing back, and thank you for your wishes.

You could try back care exercise at any of your near by physio therapists.

Regarding medicines, You can take Paracetamol 650 mg whenever needed, not more than 4 times a day.

Regarding tele-conferencing, I'm sorry, it is not possible through this portal.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.