Is there a way to treat anxiety and depression after stopping overuse of painkillers?

i have stopped taking painkillers for about 5 months after being addicted to them for 5 years,i stopped on my own since then i have had really bad anxiety and depression which is why i took them in first place they seemed to help,i'm off them now and wont take them again,what i would like to know is there anything i can do or can my doctor help with to stop these horrible feelings i'm having i'm really worried if i have to always feel like this because of what i did,i havent seen my doctor yet but intend do,can you help? or is there anything he can do? many thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Drug Abuse
Follow-up: Is there a way to treat anxiety and depression after stopping overuse of painkillers? 4 minutes later
if there is anything i can to help myself please tell me,asi am finding it difficult coping with these panic feelings and worrying that there is nothing my doctor can do,i have heard of pills to help in united states but i live in England
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 11 minutes later

It is indeed a very good thing that you are trying to overcome your addiction to pain-killers and have stopped taking them.

A doctor can definitely help you to overcome your symptoms of anxiety and depression. I believe you have certainly fine Free Addiction clinics in UK where you get good amount of awareness along with counselling.

Else I would advise you to consult a psychologist or a psychiatrist as soon as possible. He/she may conduct some counseling which will help you cope with your feelings. You may need a prescription of appropriate anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medications. These medications are available in England as well so do not worry.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.
Follow-up: Is there a way to treat anxiety and depression after stopping overuse of painkillers? 15 minutes later
Do you think i have done any long term damage to my body? i thought if i stopped taking these meds i would feel better not worse?
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 5 hours later
Hi Again ,

Thanks for your follow up query.

5 years of addiction to pain killers do cause some harm to the body but body will eventually recovers from it.It can effect Gastrointestinal system causing ulcers , bleeding, constipation .Cardiovascular complications- high BP.etc..

the above effects are depends on the type of the drug taken and the dosage of the drug and the pharmacokinetics(ability of the body to handle a particular drug) of the individual.

To assess the drug effects a detailed examination and investigations are required.

Stoppage of the pain killers will prevent the adversy effects to the body ,the withdrawal symptoms(in case of narcotic pain killers) may appear once the drug is stopped abruptly after a years of its usage , these symptoms will resolve gradually.

Meanwhile a consultation with the psychiatrist will be helpful.

Hope this helps you.