Is there a way to remove sebaceous cyst with minimal scarring?

Hi Dr.,
I am 34, 5'9, 148lbs., and completely healthy - visit my GP at least twice a year, but I have had a cyst in my left facial check for over 5 years. I need help finding the best Plastic Surgeon to help me get this cyst removed with minimal to no scarring. Is there a "safer" way/minimal scarring option for removing a sebaceous cyst from the face? Have you ever read this Medical article?
A New Procedure for Treating a Sebaceous Cyst: Removal of the Cyst Content with a Laser Punch and the Cyst Wall with a Minimal Postponed Excision - please see this link for the complete article... WWW.WWWW.WW

I am trying to have this procedure done for my cyst on my left check that I have had for over 5 years, and want so badly removed before my 35th bday...with minimal to no scar.

Thank you!
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for the cosmetic outcome of the cyst. Since you have had the cyst on the face, to have minimal scarring of the area, we can follow minimally invasive procedure of surgical excision. The advantage of surgical excision is that the cyst is treated in one session.

What happens is that the tissue immediately surrounding the sebaceous cyst is injected with a local anaesthetic. The cyst is incised and the contents squeezed out leaving the empty wall of the cyst. This can then be removed entirely through much smaller incision. One or two stitches may be required in the procdure.

Second method is what you have described and is definitely followed now. electrolysis method. In this a needle is placed into the sebaceous cyst and a current is passed through the needle into the skin. This breaks down the sebaceous cyst, releasing the contents and destroying the wall. However this is not pain free and requires specialization.

You can consult a good plastic surgeon and discuss these methods with him. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you a good health.

Follow-up: Is there a way to remove sebaceous cyst with minimal scarring? 46 minutes later
Dear Dr. Jasvinder XXXXXXX

Wow! Thank you so much! I feel so much better, and hopeful. Would it be possible to get a referral? I have tried to search for a plastic surgeon who performs the 1st and 2nd methods, but without results. Do you know of anyone (2 or 3 options would be greatly appreciated) in the NYC(Manhattan) area who performs methods 1 and 2?

Kindest regards,

Thanks for getting back.

I am glad that you have relaxed a bit. Personally I am unaware of a good plastic surgeon / dermatologist in the Manhattan area who performs these methods, but some of the good plastic surgeons/ board certified dermatologists in the area whom you can consult and discuss the treatment options are :

1) Dr Dmitry Khasak
77 Park Ave,
Suite 1A
(at 39th Street)
New York, N.Y. 0000

2) Dr. XXXXXXX H. Tirgan
23 West 73rd Street,
Suite # GD
New York, NY 0000

3) XXXXXXX Rapaport, MD, FACS
905 5th Avenue
( @72nd Street )
New York, New York 0000
T. 212.249.9955

4) Dr XXXXXXX Miller
60 East 56th, Third Floor, New York

You can also check the following links for good dermatologists and plastic surgeons in the area.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you good health. Kind regards.