Is there a way to increase my daughter's height after she has got her periods ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My daughter is nearing is there a way to increase height ? If i need to consult a specialist doctor what should be his/her area of specialisation (e.g. Ortho etc)?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Growth and Development in Children

Answered by Dr. Sangeet 33 minutes later
Hello Rampi,

I need to know some details to answer your query aptly.
- What is your daughter's age?
- When did she have her first period?
- I need to know your and her father's height.
- Does she have any other disorder?

Please answer these questions and I'll be able to help you better. I can tell you the approximate height she'll achieve. Yes, there's a way to increase height.
For height related problems, you need to consult an Orthopaedician, preferably Paediatric Orthopaedician and an Endocrinologist.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Is there a way to increase my daughter's height after she has got her periods ? 35 hours later
My daughter's date of birth is 1st sept 1997.

She had her first period more than one year ago

Fathers height 5 feet 5 inches

She has no other disorders

Answered by Dr. Sangeet 17 hours later
Hi Rampi,

Thanks again and sorry for the delay.

As I mentioned earlier, i need to your (mother's) height too - to calculate her approximate height.

Usually, girls grow an average of 6cms following their first period. Did she have that growth spurt?

What's her current height?

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Is there a way to increase my daughter's height after she has got her periods ? 22 days later
Doctor

Sorry could not reply earlier i was travelling. Her mothers height is 5feet 4 inches. My mothers height is approx 5 feet

Answered by Dr. Sangeet 1 hour later
Hello Rampi,

Thanks for writing back in faith.

The predicted final height of your daughter is approximately 5 feet.
If your daughter has a problem with being short, you can opt for surgical lengthening.

She will require a series of X-rays of both the lower limbs and Left wrist (to estimate exact bone age).

Both limbs can be lengthened at the same time. A lengthening instrument will be applied to both her thighs. The instruments will project outside her skin. The limbs will be lengthened at the rate of 1mm/day. For e.g a lengthening of 6 cm will require 2 months time.

She wont have pain, except for the first post operative day.

She wont be allowed to walk till that period. The instruments will remain on her thigh for another 2 months wherein she'll be made to walk depending upon her X-rays. Following this, the fixators will be removed.

Complications:
There's a very little chance of infection.
Rates of success are much higher.

Cost:
Approximately 70K - 100K in India.

They are done in various Orthopaedic centers in Bangalore, CMC-Vellore, Mumbai etc.

Hope I have answered your queries. If not, I will be available for further follow up.

Wish you good health.

Thank you.