Is there a test done to catch something bad early? Do you recommend me getting a prescreening for anything?

We spoke before. Is there ever a reasoning to get scans, test done to catch something bad early? I know they say a lot of bad types of diseases, cancers go undetected? Is there any we can do in society to catch this type of stuff early? At the age of 34 do you recommend me getting any kind of prescreening for anything?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question. It is a pleasure to hear from you again.

This is actually an excellent question. There have been some large studies performed in the past to try to figure out if there is any particular population which would benefit from imaging in the setting of the screening test.

The only large clinical trial which is shown benefit to screening test has been in people who smoke cigarettes over a long period of time. In this population of patients it has been shown that CT scans performed on an annual basis may help doctors find alone cancer earlier than otherwise.

Otherwise in the general population screening imaging studies have not been shown to provide any specific benefit. In fact some of the studies would expose patients to radiation unnecessarily.

I really do not see any indication for any type of prophylactic screening evaluation in the form of imaging studies for you. I would encourage you otherwise to continue to maintain an optimal lifestyle with good well-balanced diet connection size.

I thank you again for submitting your question. If you have specific questions or points of discussion that you would like to elaborate on more fully with me I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

Dr. Robert