Is there a remedy for tonsilities apart from an operation?

ENT Specialist
i have tonsilities since my childhood days... i am 25yrs now.... i do get mild and severe tonsils attack most often..... suggest me the best possible solution with out an operation
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 26 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you have had more than 5 to 6 attacks of tonsillitis over the last 2 to 3 years, you may go ahead with an operation. Do you have any rheumatic symptoms?

2. If you have less than this frequency of attacks of tonsillitis or if you wish to avoid an operation, get a throat examination done to check whether the signs of chronic tonsillitis are present.

3. The palatine tonsils are one part of the lymphoid tissue in the throat which forms a ring (known as Waladeyer's ring) around the throat and also includes the lingual tonsil, tubal tonsils, adenoids (in childhood) and lateral and posterior pharyngeal bands, besides innumerable isolated tissue throughout the throat. Therefore, after tonsillectomy, only the frequency of sore throat goes down and does not disappear entirely.

4. You may get a routine blood test and throat culture & sensitivity done and take an anti-allergic and broad spectrum antibiotic, an anti-allergic and a medicated gargle such as Betadine oral rinse under the supervision of your doctor. Your doctor may also prescribe a mucolytic and short course of steroids (oral and nasal) and steam inhalation if you have lymphoid hypertrophy in the throat or post nasal drip.

5. Selective radio frequency of granular pharyngitis, if this exists in your case, may help reduce the frequency of your attacks.

6. You may avoid cold, sour food, try multi-vitamins and anti-oxidants which enhance immunity. You may also try homeopathy or biochemic medication which are available OTC .

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.