Is there a relationship between low platlet count and bad breath?

Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

There are no studies or research which links a low platelet count with bad breath.
There is really no mechanism by which this might occur.

At the same time if there is some type of immune condition which is causing the low platelet count this could potentially have an effect on breath. While I doubt this is the case this is just something I want to bring up for discussion. If you are otherwise healthy I really see no connection between your platelet count and breath.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to discuss those.

Dr. Robert