Is there a possibility that scar tissue formed after TB heal completely and does not appear in chest x ray?

Excellent

Pulmonologist
Question
Hi I was diagnosed with TB some 17 years back. I had taken the required treatment and was cured within 9 months in the initial phase a scar was detected on my chest x-ray however now when i take an x-ray there is no scar as teh x-ray findings are lungs are clear and normal,etc does this mean the scar is no longer there or does a general chest P A does not highlight this issue
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: It may have disappeared so small that not seen on Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, TB infection genarally heals by forming a scar tissue like any other infection. Amount of scar tissue formed is commensurate with the extent of lesion. In your case, may be the lesion was minimal or at the most moderate which has well healed with treatment. If the scar tissue is not very dense and extensive, it disappears over time and that`s what seems to have happened in your case. Mostly scar tissue is visualized on chest xray but at times a very small and faint scar may not be visualized on chest x ray and may be better seen on CT chest. But you seem to have healed completely so why bother? Be happy and do not worry.

Follow-up: Is there a possibility that scar tissue formed after TB heal completely and does not appear in chest x ray? 19 minutes later
I need to get this checked as my job involves a lot of international travel and as part of the VIsa process i need to state if i ever had TB i want to get this completely checked in order to avoid mentioning it as part of my visa process. I am in the process of migration to another country and would like to get this clarified completely do you recommend any test that i can take to clear out all possibilities of this scar. is there any specific guidance i would need to give the lab for this specific test would also like to know if the new test does not talk of any scar would it be ok for me to state that i have not been diagnosed and there is no test that can determine my past history on this front

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 5 hours later
Brief Answer: You may get a CT chest done. Detailed Answer: You may go in for a CT scan of chest which may reveal any scar tissue which is not visualized on chest x ray though i feel even that will come clear. There are no tests which can definitely diagnose TB except growing TB bacteria in the relevant specimen( sputum in your case) by culturing it. Culture is not asked for in a healthy individual who has no symptoms. Whether you want to disclose about your TB status in the past is entirely upto you. Bye.

Follow-up: Is there a possibility that scar tissue formed after TB heal completely and does not appear in chest x ray? 1 hour later
I read on the net that ct scan is not safe due to high radiation - is this true

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 14 hours later
Brief Answer: It does have some radiation hazard but within the Detailed Answer: It does have some radiation hazard but within the acceptable limits.