Is there a possibility of HIV contraction chance by the use of a contaminated condom?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
HI DOC
MAYBE I AM JUST BEING PARANOID COS THIS WAS MY FIRST TIME FOR SEX

MY QUESTION TO YOU IS, I HAVE VISITED A CSW AND SHE USED ONE OF HER OWN CONDOM ON ME.THE COLOURE OF THE CONDOM WAS BLACK SO I COULD NOT SEE THE INSIDE.THE LIGHTS WERE PRETTY DIM IN THE ROOM SO VISIBILITY WAS POOR.

FOR ARGUMENT SAKE JUST SAY SHE HAD CONTAMINATE THE CONDOM INNER WITH A DROP OF HIV BLOOD BEFORE SHE PUT IT ON ME AND THAT BLOOD WENT IN MY URETHRA.CAN YOU GET HIV THIS WAY.

I KNOW ITS A SILLY QUESTION JUST BUT I AM GETTING MARRIED NEXT MONTH AND I WANT TO CLEAR MY THOUGHTS

WARM REGARDS
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

HIV can be contracted if infected fluids come in contact with any raw cutaneous or mucosal surface. In your case if she has contaminated the condom wth perhaps infected blood you may run the risk.

A safe option would be to do a baseline set of viral markers and take a course of antiretroviral therapy as postexposure prophylaxis.

Repeat the viral markers after 6 wks and 6 months.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no more queries.

Wishing you good health,.

Regards.